Valentine’s Day. It seems like everybody’s got something to say about it. Depending on who you talk to it’s either the most depressing day of the year created by Hallmark to make single people want to kill themselves, the greatest love filled day of the year created by Hallmark so people in relationships can buy each other stuff they don’t need, or if you’re my friend Emily – her half birthday.
I don’t usually think about Valentine’s Day each year. I’m sure if I was in a relationship I would think about it, but it seems I’ve been involved with someone every single other month of the year – just not February. How convenient, Mr. Cupid.
If you find yourself in a relationship this Valentines, but also find yourself underemployed, you might be nervous about buying your sweetie a gift this year. Chocolates can be expensive (unless you want to get them a day later on February 15th, my personal favorite day of the year, when everything goes on sale) and nice jewelry can really break the bank! So tomorrow instead of buying a gift for your lover, bake them something! It’ll mean more and cost less. Extra brownie points (pun intended) if you bake it together.
Chocolate is the usual route for this holiday, but I decided to make something a little different this year:
Lemon Cupcakes with Raspberry Icing
3/4 cup and 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 sticks) unsalted butter
2 large eggs
1/4 cup sour cream
1/8 cup milk
Juice of 1/2 large lemon
zest of 1/2 large lemon
1. Preheat oven to 350 and combine all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt) in a large mixing bowl.
2. Using an electric mixer, whip together room temperature butter and lemon zest until combined. Add sugar until light and creamy.
3. Whip in the rest of the wet ingredients (eggs, sour cream, and milk) one at a time. Finally add in the lemon juice and beat until completely incorporated.
4. Line your cupcake tray with cute Valentines Day themed paper and using an ice cream scoop (or spoon) divide batter evenly into 12 cupcakes.
5. Bake for about 18-20 minutes.
1 cup frozen or fresh raspberries
1 tablespoon raspberry jam
2 cups powdered sugar
1. Let the raspberries cool to room temperature. Using fingers mush them into a pulp.
2. Using electric mixer blend the pulpy rapsberries with the jam. Slowly mix in the powdered sugar.
***Aaaaaand for those of you who absolutely despise this holiday and send Hallmark threatening letters to let them know how spiteful and unnecessary this holiday truly is, I offer this decorating suggestion. My mom got me these sugar knife decorations for Halloween but I saved them for this special occasion 🙂 They add a nice touch, don’t they? Happy Valentine’s Day everyone!!
****Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram and tell your friends! Username: latteissues! ( or http://www.instagram.com/latteissues)!